Friday, September 10, 2004

a thumbnail for life - part 2

Yesterday, I talked a little about how our prayer life mirrors our life as a whole. The last blog entry was in reference to the first of those greatest commandments: 'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind'. Today I wanted to discuss the second: 'Love your neighbour as yourself'. However, I find myself unable to do so. The internet is a place where everyone's opinion counts, and people are free to say what they like without fear thanks to the veil of anonymity. This is probably a good thing, but it tempts me to speak when I should be silent, it lures my pride into the role of preacher.

So that I avoid that particular snare, I will be quiet today and leave you with the wisdom of others:

The Good Samaritan (after Delacroix) - Vincent Van Gogh

"It is in deep solitude and silence that I find the gentleness with which I can truly love my brother and sister" - Thomas Merton

"God is the friend of silence. See how nature, trees, flowers, grass, grow in silence. The more we receive in silent prayer, the more we can give in our active life" - Mother Teresa

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home